Windowsill wonder!

What you need:

  • a straight piece of board 1 inch thick by whatever width you want (for the front overhang) and length of your window plus any addition on each end.
  • wood glue
  • finish nails
  • an air compressor with nail gun — not necessary, but really nice to have; a regular hammer and a careful but strong and straight aim will work just fine
  • semi gloss paint, I used two coats then applied a third to the top only after the sill was attached

I used a 1×6 which gave me about a 3 inch extension from my existing window.  The length extends  about 2 inches on either side.  I wasn’t sure if the molding underneath should match the length of the window or the wood, so I decided to keep it the length of the original window frame.  I found a semi gloss paint that I had in the garage cabinet (most of our paint comes from Home Depot), which was perfect because it is easy to wipe clean and we get dust from the empty field behind us.  We did purchase the board and molding at Lowe’s because I think they have a good selection.  We are lucky enough to have an nail gun that works with our compressor which makes easy work of the nails putting it together.  Finish nails work great for this project.  You may want to use a bit of wood glue also when  attaching the molding and the small side pieces to make sure your new sill is nice and strong!  I painted the sill, as you can see in the pictures, before my husband nailed it on the original sill.

I remember houses used to be built with beautiful wood windowsills. There is something about that smooth enameled surface that appeals to me! Look at the difference a piece of wood and molding made! So easy to wipe clean. I’d love to see pictures of your new ‘old fashioned’ sills!

Old to New

Six months ago I was introduced to the world of blogging and started up thensingsmysoultothee.com.  Now, here I am, beginning a very different website featuring my love for repurposing and being imaginative without necessarily following the rules in decorating!  When my Mom moved out from our home to enter an assisted living facility, she left some of her very old and loved furniture.  I miss my Mom but lucky me in gaining the pieces of furniture she left!  First up, a heavy solid maple dresser that just seemed to beg for a do over!  And since I now have some empty rooms to repurpose, I could envision it as a dresser in our new guest room!

dresser2

So I ventured into the garage to collect some unused leftover paint in a cabinet.  A can of light gray color and a tannish gray color from Home Depot looked about right. Also a small container of acrylic craft paint from Michaels in navy.  First a light sanding with my Makita hand sander then an allover coat of light gray.  After the gray paint dried I used the navy paint randomly in large areas of the top of the dresser and the drawer fronts.  I ran out of navy so I continued with haphazard areas of the tannish gray color I had found.  All of the paints from Home Depot were Behr brand in a satin finish.

Then came the fun part!  A good, solid hammer and some meandering strikes against the dresser top – don’t forget the drawers also.  So far, so good.  The dresser was begging for a purposeful sanding, a little here, a little there, heavier in some spots.  It looked good but I felt it needed a sheen or finish.  Score!  I found a can of Rustoleum Transformations Acrylic Glaze in Java Brown.  I think I may have used this on the end tables in the family room a few years back.  That will have to be another blog!  I painted a thin coat of this glaze all over and it was just what it needed! But it wasn’t done just yet.

I had removed the wood drawer pulls my Dad made years ago – sorry Dad but they didn’t fit my vision.  So, now on to our Hobby Lobby to search for something that would work.  My husband gave me a hand in this endeavor and together we selected our favorite knobs then decided to make each drawer different because we were unable to decide on just one style!  The drawer hardware just happened to be on sale also, yes!  I love the finished project!  The dresser was part of a set that my Mom and Dad purchased when they were married in 1945!  Maybe it will last another 70+ years!dresser1.jpg